Thursday, February 12, 2009

Virtual Inaugural Lovefest






My favorite media mashup recently was CNN's blend of Facebook with its live video feed from the inauguration of Barack Obama. That's an image of my laptop screen on Inauguration Day above. It was called "CNN.com Live with Facebook."


I liked the way it allowed me to watch events unfold live on the left side of my computer screen, while simultaneously showing what my friends were saying about it on the right side, in a sidebar.

Also nice was the toggle button that let me switch back and forth between watching my friends comment through their status boxes and everybody else on Facebook commenting. Commentary from my friends seemed livelier and smarter, but I picked them as friends, so I must be biased, right?

CNN reported that roughly 19 million people used this Facebook-CNN video mashup on Inauguration Day. The original Facebook page is still live but of course the live video stream is long gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment